D12463: Add support for icon-only tasks (what browsers call pinned tabs)

Christian noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 23 17:05:01 UTC 2018

Fuchs added a comment.

  In D12463#252419 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12463#252419>, @ngraham wrote:

  > This is a neat feature, but I worry that it would muddy the difference between the regular task manager and the icons-only task manager. It's not inconceivable that a user wanting to get an IOTM-style panel would resort to using this feature to force every single window to be icon-only.

  Well, personally I am not going to use it as I use icon tasks, but the people who wished for it seem to not want icon tasks,

  Initial discussion  in the VDG group was (anonymized, for now):

  anon1, [08.03.18 16:06]
  if you "pin" an app you get an starter icon, if the app is not running, but a full task bar entry, if the app is running.

  But there is no way to "pin" like in a browser, icon only even when running.

  KDE IRC Relay Service, [08.03.18 16:06]
  <anon2> ah that
  <anon2> yeah I wish we had that
  <anon2> (and no, I dont want to change to icon tasks)

  anon1, [08.03.18 16:07]
  then there would be far less need to minimize to systray

  KDE IRC Relay Service, [08.03.18 16:08]
  <anon2> KMail shows unread mail count in task bar, has "check for mail" option in the menu, so I dont see a reason for kmail tray icon for instance

  anon1, [08.03.18 16:09]
  I only show windows from the current screen in the task bar

  anon1, [08.03.18 16:09]
  current virtual desktop *

  and https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=136113  was thrown at me, which has some discussion as well.

  I can see definitely some valid points, e.g. having it for applications you only have one instance (which makes the window title irrelevant in most cases) and basically only care about the notification, kmail/kontact was named as an example, but I could see the same apply to chat / instant messaging systems.

  As said, personally I am not going to use it, but I definitely see good use cases which separates this from icon only    (icon only is a massive pain if you often have multiple windows of the same application you need to be able to quickly distinguish)

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop