D12069: Implement a keyboard selector plasmoid

Eike Hein noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 9 17:51:47 UTC 2018

hein added a comment.

  It's long been known that the keyboard layout switcher SNI is legacy stuff and will eventually become redundant with the Input Method Panel widget once we switch to a proper model of managing input languages vs. just keyboard layouts in the workspace.

  I suggest this be discarded and instead keyboard layout switching be added to the IMP widget as a fallback when an IM daemon is not running (when one is running it effectively takes over keyboard layout management at least on X11, and so the SNI always became completely useless to IM users). This would have the benefits of:

  - ... putting us on a path towards the proper unification we need
  - ... getting more of the core Plasma devs to review and work on the IMP code, which we need to be of prime quality (it's in p-d, it's on the default panel in many locales, and soon likely will be for all of them for emoji input)

  This is also important for our plans for the Virtual Keyboard down the road, where we want to embed the IMP widget to do the language/layout switching and reuse important toggles (like full/half-width character modes).

  This request as-is is new work that reimplements a known-to-be-broken thing, which is not great because new work should always go towards planned improvements.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace