Keyboard Layout notification on Wayland

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Apr 6 16:15:47 UTC 2018

Hey,
Since I moved to wayland instead of seeing an item on the tray with
the layout I see a keyboard. The behavior is right but the fact that I
just see a keyboard that doesn't tell me much pushed me to see if we
could gain back the behavior we have on X11.

I saw that this code moved to kwin, my first instinct was to port the
logic from the kded module we have nowadays, but the algorithm we have
to render text on the status notifier is horrid and thought we could
do something else, like a plasmoid.

TLDR:
kwin maintainers, how would you feel about dropping the status
notifier item and creating an ad-hoc plasmoid for org.kde.keyboard
/Layouts dbus service?

Aleix