D6313: Support Icon Scale from Icon naming specification 0.13

Andrew Crouthamel noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 2 14:12:56 UTC 2018

acrouthamel added a comment.

  @ngraham and @hein, while I agree that in some instances I like the colored hi-res icons showing, this issue causes a mixture of icons to be displayed depending on the app. The examples here show a nice homogeneous selection of icons that change from A to B, so I can see why you like the colored versions better. But in diffs such as D11669 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11669> and D10688 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10688>, you can see how there are now colored icons where they were once symbolic, mixed within the interface.

  This really boils down to an issue with #Breeze <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/breeze/>, as it has special symbolic versions in the "low-res" folders, and fancy colored icons in the "hi-res" folders. Some other icon themes do not do this, and rather use just one generic icon for all sizes, so the issue really is not prevalent there. My opinion is that if you prefer the colored icons, you should recommend to #Breeze <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/breeze/> that they phase out the symbolic versions, or create new colored icons for everything, to place into the "hi-res" folders, so they all show as colored for those running HiDPI/scaling. Otherwise we are left with inconsistent interfaces for users.

  This change fixes a legitimate issue with an implemented freedesktop standard, so I hope it gets approved and committed.

REPOSITORY
  R302 KIconThemes