D11848: [Kickoff] Reduce hover delay before switching tabs

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Apr 1 23:12:07 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D11848#238363 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11848#238363>, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > That second diagram literally has that arrow crossing through the History tab...

  Yes, I drew the arrow that way deliberately to illustrate that it still works okay for the absolute worst case scenario:

  - Right-most tab is active
  - User decides to move the mouse diagonally to position it over the text of an item low down in the list, in the process crossing over the History tab

  Virtually all other use cases will not have the above constraints and the user can be expected to move the cursor straight up.

  I just increased the timer to 50ms, and here's a video showing that there isn't a problem:

  F5781330: Works fine-2018-04-01_17.07.40.webm <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5781330>

  That said, I agree that a very lenient triangle filter might work better here, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

  In D11848#238363 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11848#238363>, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > I did once write a generic QML implementation of a triangle menu filter, implementing something like http://bjk5.com/post/44698559168/breaking-down-amazons-mega-dropdown
  >  https://phabricator.kde.org/P183
  >
  > The reason I didn't push forward with it was because I found afterwards it didn't solve the bug I was trying to solve, moving the mouse to task manager tooltips, where my mouse is moving outside an area we control. Would cover the kicker/kickoff cases fine. I can revisit that if wanted.

  That sounds like a sane, humane, and re-usable solution!

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop