KDE Slimbook and its Synaptics-less Touchpad

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Sep 21 15:46:26 UTC 2017

Am 2017-09-21 16:41, schrieb Aleix Pol:
> Hey Plasma,
> One of the things that could be improved in the KDE Slimbook is that
> since the touchpad is not synaptics-based the kcm is entirely
> disabled.
>
> Nevertheless, Alejandro recently pointed out to me that XInput is
> still providing some options that could be useful to our users and
> maybe it could make sense to show these when full synaptics support
> isn't available.
>
> Is there anyone who could spend some time to look into the issue?

This should be very easy to fix by switching Xorg to use the
libinput-xorg-driver instead of the synaptics driver. The synaptics
driver is deprecated and only the libinput driver is further developed,
works better and is more awesome in every aspect.

So instead of spending time on fixes for legacy technology, let's use
the current technology.

This might mean Neon having to switch the config, which probably hasn't
been done as ubuntu is old, but Neon's X is newer than the Ubuntu base
(thanks to Wayland ;-)

Cheers
Martin