D7905: Remove launch feature from hamburger button and restore to the toolbar

Thomas Pfeiffer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Sep 21 15:13:28 UTC 2017

colomar added a comment.

  Don't worry: After many years working as a usability consultant and UX designer, I know that I have to distinguish between my own needs and user needs.

  If our users have trouble launching applications, then placing a launch button in Discover is _not_ the solution.
  We do not want users to return to Discover, find the application again and click "Launch" there every time they want to launch it. That would be terrible UX.
  For users who do not know how to launch an application from the regular launcher, the Launch button in Discover would actually be exacerbate the problem because it might give them the idea that this is the main way to launch an application.
  So no, this is not a good argument for the button.

  As I said: The Launch button is a handy shortcut for people to start the application they just installed right away without having to go through the regular launcher first.
  They've installed something, they're itching to use it, so having a Launch button right there can make the whole experience nicer.

  That's why I am not against the button per se, but only think it's useful if it can serve its purpose as a shortcut.

REPOSITORY
  R134 Discover Software Store