D6764: Add font size setting to the digital clock plasmoid

Diego Gangl noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Sep 10 22:31:25 UTC 2017

januz added a comment.

  > I think this explains why you haven't had a review, this existing code is already sketchy as-is :/
  >  But we should be trying to fix that not just all of us ignoring it. Sorry about that.

  No problem, I can understand the dread of piling stuff on code that needs refactoring.

  > So this clock has 4 states:
  >
  > 1. horizontal
  > 2. horizontal small (date and tz appear alongside clock)
  > 3. vertical
  > 4. other ()

  I don't think I've ever seen state 4. How do you trigger it?

  > With your patch:
  >  in states 1 and 2 you're explicitly setting the time zone label to a config value, and implicitly the date and TZ label to 0.7 of that.
  >
  >   I could understand logic that limits the maximiumSize to a user defined value, but I don't want to be in a position where the user resizes a panel..then has to open all the config options of each widget and adjust things.
  >   Would keeping the fit mode but setting the maximumPixelSize to the config value work for you?

  That's a better solution! We could use a float value, and present it more as a percentage instead of a font size value.
  The only thing to look out for is a minimum size limit, so the widget doesn't vanish when the user resizes the panel/widget.

  > States 3 and 4 are unchanged:
  >
  >   I don't really want to have a config option that simply does nothing. Is there a reason it's not changed?

  The main idea of this setting was to be able to make the clock smaller than the panel size. Vertical panels are usually thin, and the font size for digital clocks turns out to be fairly small already. So I didn't think it was really useful to set a font size there. It wouldn't hurt either though.