Plasma Mobile on the Librem 5

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Sep 4 16:00:44 UTC 2017

Am 2017-09-03 23:17, schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> I do know that there is a good amount of interest
> in the community, but my impression is also that many people are
> playing a waiting game for others to move before they're getting their
> hands dirty. This is something we need to resolve to get the ball
> really
> rolling. A decent plan and coordination of these effort is definitely
> needed, and this is something we should come up with first. Build and
> they will come.

*nod* - I absolutely think this is a chicken-egg problem. Due to not
having hardware nobody is interested in doing work and due to not having
software we don't get the hardware. Librem 5 might be just the push to
get out of this loop. What might be needed is getting development boards
early to KDE devs and we need to get the initial setup story good, so
that it's easy to hack on without having to fight the system (I remember
the horror of Nokia's maemo cross compiler)

>> Now that is said - what suggestion do you have for a meeting around
>> promoting collaboration between Purism and KDE regarding Librem5?
>> Videoconferencing or async via mail? Other tools? I would add to the
>> discussion our CEO, CMO and Director of Creative.
>
> Video would probably work best, a phone conference is also an option.
> Plasma and KDE promo people are mostly in Europe, but I'm sure we can
> make something work, even if it's outside of office hours (I don't
> mind).

If you need any input from the Wayland stack (e.g. rendering, input) I'm
happy to participate, though that would mean outside of office hours ;-)
(earliest 16 CEST).

Cheers
Martin