System Settings KCM Tidying

Jan Grulich jgrulich at redhat.com
Mon Oct 23 12:05:26 UTC 2017

On pondělí 23. října 2017 13:57:52 CEST David Edmundson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Jan Grulich <jgrulich at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I added myself to "Connection" KCM if you don't mind,
>
> Awesome. I hoped you would :)
>
> > but I have a question.
> > Do you expect that all KCMs will be completely rewritten in QML?
>
> I expect 3 years from now they will all be.
> I'd be surprsied if it was much sooner.

3 years from now, that's doable and I believe that even sooner, I was just
pointing out that it's not something possible for Plasma 5.12 or maybe not
also for Plasma 5.13, but I'll do my best as usual.

> > I'm just
> > afraid that rewriting the editor part into QML will be more than a long
> > process. There is so many kind of connections, not even mentioning VPNs,
> > with
> > tons of possible properties. If you do expect it to be completely written
> > in
> > QML, we will have to probably find some compromise or give it more time.
> > If
> > the editor part can still be QWidget based, then according to the mockup
> > it
> > shouldn't really be a problem to change it as the code base is quite ready
> > for
> > that.
>
> Problem is we also need network management in the phone UI stack, and
> that's needed in the shorter-medium term. Maybe in this specific case
> that's safest happening in parallel separate from the current KCM code.

As I already wrote in another mail thread, I have a student [1] working on
this. He's not that active as I would like him to be and not progressing
really much, but he is supposed to finish in ~2 months so I expect he will
start soon heavily working on this as his deadline is approaching.

[1] - https://github.com/MartinKacej/plasma-nm