D8232: Add option to center shadow

Hugo Pereira Da Costa noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Oct 14 13:22:44 UTC 2017

hpereiradacosta added a comment.

  Hi,
  Thanks for the patch.
  Few comments (on the functionality, not yet on the code)

  1/ this is a decision VDG should make (Thomas Pfeiffer ?): when I first wrote the code for breeze we discussed this possibility to have the shadow centered (as well as left oriented) but it was rejected. The right oriented shadow being a concious choice of the main breeze designer at the time, Andrew Lake

  2/ if the option is added it must be applied consistently everywhere. This includes (as already noticed): menu and combobox shadows, but also buttons shadows. This requires changes to breeze::style as well as breeze::decoration.
  The shadow code for menu and comboboxes is 'similar' to that of the decorations. The button shadow is somewhat different, but ...

  3/ I don't think this should be an option. The change is too small (and implies too much code complexity, once 2/ is fullifille) for being controled by an option, and doesn't bring/remove anything functionality wise, instead of eye candy. This would be like adding an option on how many pixels are used to round corners at the top of the window decoration. Bottom line one should choose one design or the other, it is not worth it to keep both. On the other hand we must then be prepared to people complaining when the change is introduced, and have a good story for justifying the change (rather than just : because I think it looks better).

  4/ note that oxygen has centered shadows everywhere (decoration, menus and buttons).

  Comments welcome

  Hugo

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze