Plasma 5.12 goal: let's get Wayland ready!

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Oct 11 15:20:34 UTC 2017

Am 2017-10-11 11:53, schrieb Marco Martin:
> On martedì 10 ottobre 2017 21:40:14 CEST Martin Flöser wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to put out a development goal for the Plasma team for the
>> upcoming 5.12 cycle: let's get Wayland ready!
>>
>> The last two weeks I saw two blog posts by two different Plasma
>> members
>> showing screenshots running X. That disappointed me. I hoped that we
>> all
>> are running Wayland already and working on getting it finished for our
>> users.
>>
>> So I want to ask every one of you to start doing all development on
>> Wayland. Use it as your daily driver. Use it for hacking, gaming,
>> browsing and whatever else you do on your system. But use it!
>>
>> Don't find an excuse for yourself, just use it. If there is a show
>> stopper: fix it or report a bug!
>
> yep, i like it and  i'll try!
> some times tough some help is needed to even figure out where the
> problem is...
> for tme the thing that makes my laptop unusable with wayland is a very
> bad
> flicker in many qwidget apps, especially kate and to a lesse extent
> dolphin are
> pretty much blinking like disco lights just by moving the mouse on top
> of the
> app window.
>
> Where should i start to look about that?

Most likely in Qt. I had seen this once in kate as well and it looked to
me like either Qt is not updating correctly (single buffering?) or what
I consider more likely this is a tooltip issue. At least in dolphin I
see that tooltips open and are not properly marked as a transient. If it
is now under the mouse we get flicker, because it opens, gains focus and
dolphin then destroys it again and the complete process repeats. I hope
that the Qt 5.9.2 fixes that.

Otherwise I suggest to run these apps on xcb platform. As mentioned in
the thread about QT_QPA_PLATFORM env var I have the feeling that xcb
platform just works better for many apps.

Cheers
Martin