Plasma Team Communication & Development Practices [MUST READ]

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sun Oct 8 10:04:12 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:

> *Pulls up a chair*
>
> We need to have a talk. The way things are proceeding currently in
> regards to how you (the Plasma folks) work with the rest of us is
> severely and fundamentally broken. Which means we need to fix it.
>
> Lets start with development practices. Over the past few weeks, there
> have been at least two instances where things have been unbuildable,
> for several days, and have only been fixed after i've essentially
> hunted down the responsible developers.

> One instance is currently
> outstanding.

(FWIW, not anymore - thanks David F)

> In one case code was introduced which depended on a new version than
> was allowed. The other case was a failure to update the dependency
> metadata.

The fact that I mistook when a Qt method was introduced is very hard to
spot. It's party why we have the CI, I don't think we can do much to
prevent it from happening; just improving our response time when it does.

One weird happened on here:
This is the job I track and the breaking commit
https://build.kde.org/view/Frameworks/job/Frameworks%
20plasma-framework%20kf5-qt5%20XenialQt5.7/116/

Qt5.7 is clearly in the name there.. yet it's yellow, tt built, so did
every one afterwards.

Can you check that on the sysadmin side?

The BSD one did fail, and it's a problem that I do (in my head) filter out
all BSD failures as someone-elses problem.

Moving forwards I'll make an effort to get our current Plasma building on
BSD, so that I'll stop doing that.

AFAIK, it was fixed within minutes of the first ping on IRC.

---

The Kirigami/QQC2 dependency issue was much more of a failure.