using KWin's wayland compositor under an X11 session?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 18:26:55 UTC 2017

Hi,

> ​You can run it nested; so you have a wayland session in a window. Like
> Xephyr.
>
> But if you want to play with it, just choose it at the login manager, you
> don't need to uninstall X11.

Neither is really what I want, or can (my login manager doesn't know about
wayland). I do have a VM that gives this choice, but that doesn't work.
Something to do with OpenGL support in VirtualBox from what I understand.

What I'd like is something seamless, just like one can supposedly run X11 apps
in a wayland session.

All this may be moot because it never takes long under KWin5/X11 before I start
getting update glitches when pushing windows to the front or back of the stack
with keyboard shortcuts, or switching virtual desktops the same way. Looks like
something is trying to be too clever in determining which screen portions need
redrawing. I'm not using animations for either operation, which maybe doesn't
help.