D6764: Add font size setting to the digital clock plasmoid

Diego Gangl noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Nov 29 01:04:17 UTC 2017

januz added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D6764#172831, @mmustac wrote:

  > I think this describes the main problem for most users (including me) very good:
  >  KDE Forum: Padding in plasma panels <https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=139823>

  Actually I posted that on the forums before deciding to make this patch :P

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D6764#173090, @ngraham wrote:

  > Exactly: people in that thread think the default size is too big. I think if we just make the default size smaller, the complaints will go away.

  Yeah, we can do that. However IMO the tricky part isn't having a setting, it's making the text (and/or label heights) scale relative to the size of the panel. Label heights and font settings depend on each other (and the helper(s)) in different ways depending on the form factor. Maybe I can bring the formulas from the rewrite code to set a fontSize, then check to see where it breaks and clamp it (hopefully it won't break the rest of the layout).
  An alternative would be to set a fixed font size, like say the default desktop font size or a multiplier of it. It could still keep the fontSizeMode to fit and be relative-ish, the font size would go shrink until the minimum allowed if it didn't have enough space.