D8924: Move the KDE Polkit-Agent into ksmserver

David Edmundson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Nov 28 16:34:17 UTC 2017

davidedmundson added a comment.

  > On X11 ksmserver, on Wayland KWin?

  In principle great. It was the other possible choice.
  But this spawns a window, generally kwin is bad at having it's own windows, so it might not be trivial.

  I certainly don't want to go down the route of kwin holding the name, then spawning the dialog separately with a socket communicating back passwords.

  > The main task of ksmserver is being an X11 Session Manager.

  Based on the name, sure.
  Based on the code...I wouldn't say "main".

  The autostart handling is just as important, and just as much code, we don't want that in a process that we consider irrelevant.

  Thinking of the lonerg term picture, I see 3 options for handling that.

  1. We could split that out into it's own process and spawn that on both X and wayland.
  2. Autostart could be made into a lib, and added to the ever-growing kwind
  3. Or we could port the X session code to use xcb_connect instead of QX11Info::connection().. would be another option, there's no need for it to match what the QPA is using.

  Decide that, and I think we're implicitly deciding what we do with this patch.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace