KWin5 memory leak?

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Nov 13 16:20:56 UTC 2017

Am 2017-11-13 10:23, schrieb René J.V. Bertin:
> Hi,
>
> This is something I also noticed with KWin4 but which seems to be
> worse with KWin5 (v5.11.1, FW 5.38.0, Qt 5.8.0 and the Breeze
> windowtheme):
>
> After a big compile job (like building QtWebKit) performed in the
> background (output redirected to file) with Google Chrome and Kontact
> running (in addition to a few Konsoles and Plasma4 [sic] desktop) I
> often find myself with up to 2Gb swap used. That's clearly linked to
> KWin5 because the swap space is freed only after I quit that app. As
> far as I can tell it doesn't make a significant difference here if I
> do some light browsing or emailing or if I let the build complete
> without touching the computer.
>
> In that case a Chrome extension ("The Great Suspender") will kill my
> browser tabs so the only active screen output comes from Kontact's
> sync progress bar and my screensaver (xscreensaver running the kclock
> screensaver module).
>
> Why would KWin5 be needing to allocate memory in such scenarios, which
> apparently it never releases until exit

We have zero bug reports about increase of memory usage and also haven't
had any bug reports going in the direction of a memory leak for years. I
consider it close to impossible that there is a leak.

Please note that KWin maps memory from other applications (window
content). It might be wrongly attributed and might just go away when the
compositor is killed. I'm quite certain you look at the wrong offender
here.

Cheers
Martin