Missing mouse pointer in KWin on Wayland with Etnaviv

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Wed Nov 1 19:08:26 UTC 2017

> Am 2017-10-31 02:56, schrieb Matthias Klumpp:
>>
>> Hello!
>> For a phone we obviously don't need a mouse pointer, but at the moment
>> I can only interact with the UI by clicking blindly, which is not
>> ideal for testing. So, do you have an idea on what might be wrong
>> here?
>
> I have ideas...
>
> First of all: the mouse cursor is only shown if a mouse is connected. I
> assume that you connected one ;-)

Yes, I have only one USB port on the board, but decided to buy a small
remote keyboard-touchpad brick now, and that does the job well (prior
to that I was swapping mouse and keyboard).

> The more likely explanation is that etnaviv doesn't have a mouse cursor
> layer, which would make sense as it's a mobile chip set. KWin uses the
> hardware cursor layer in the drm platform, so if it does not exist it won't
> work.

This makes complete sense. I didn't know that there was such as thing
as a mouse cursor layer (why would the cursor be special?). When
running Weston, I do get a cursor though, so I guess it's using some
kind of emulation.

> Whether that's the case is something which can only be tested with the
> hardware (e.g. adding a break point and seeing where KWin goes). If that's
> the case we can easily fix it by using the sofware rendered cursor. IIRC
> that is only available in 5.11, though.

Neat!

> Another possibility is that there is no mouse cursor theme configured. I'm
> not sure how much magic happens in startkde which is not executed on Plasma
> mobile. That should be easy to test, just export XCURSOR_THEME to something
> sensible (e.g. breeze_cursors).

I'd need to look into taht, but I am pretty sure a cursor is set properly.

> Am 2017-10-31 02:56, schrieb Matthias Klumpp:
>>
>> For a phone we obviously don't need a mouse pointer, but at the moment
>> I can only interact with the UI by clicking blindly,
>
> If you have a keyboard connected you can use the Mouse Mark effect: Just
> press and hold control+meta and you get two rotating circles around the
> center of the mouse cursor.

Hah! That did the trick easily, after enabling the effect in KWin's
configuration - I didn't think of this before (probably because I
didn't have that hybrid keyboard yet). Finally I can navigate the UI
more precisely :-)
Performance isn't great at all at the moment (and stability also
isn't, it crashes as soon as I try to pull down the top drawer), but
aside from these things which are actually minor issues, the whole UI
looks fairly complete and pretty nice.

I do hope we'll go with the i.mx8 chip eventually, to give us some
headroom for performance.

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,
    Matthias