D5928: Introducing Night Color - KWin's native blue light filter at nighttime

Kai-Uwe Behrmann noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon May 29 08:09:41 UTC 2017

behrmann added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5928#112398, @subdiff wrote:

  > In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5928#112368, @cfeck wrote:
  >
  > > First, the difference between "color management" and "color correction" is that color correction is only one step in the color management workflow. KWin would need (again) be able to apply color correction to take part in the color management workflow. As such, the terms color correction and color management can be used interchangeably in the context of KWin discussion.
  > >
  > > Gamma correction (as implemented by the hardware LUTs) cannot be used for color correction, because it lacks the cross-component modifications computed by the 3x3 matrix or the 3D LUT.
  > >
  > > The term "gamma correction" has been used since decades in the context of video cards, even if they are not only used to apply gamma correction, but also brigthness/contrast adjustments, color inversion effects, and temperature adjustments.
  >

  > Thanks for the explanation in your own words, but there has to be some misunderstanding. I wanted to see a quote from a second source besides you ...

  The 1D gamma business is for proper white point and gray behavior. Most people name the 1D LUT stuff "Monitor Calibration". It would be much more clear to stick to the "Gamma" or "Calibration" terms here. DRM names it as well "drmModeCrtcSetGamma()".

  Btw. in terms of ICC the 1D LUT manipulation is called "Calibration" too.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin