D5264: Amarok Player Integration For Mycroft

Aditya Mehra noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Mar 31 20:33:10 UTC 2017

Aiix added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5264#99248, @graesslin wrote:

  > Just wondering: why dedicated to amarok instead of interacting with mpris? That would allow to control any media player instead of just amarok

  Amarok is the first implementation of interacting  over the default mpris dbus interface where other players over the mpris dbus interface will be added, The limitation seems to be on the side of how I can integrate with Mycroft Skills via Dbus and intent management. There are two points to this. 1. It seems currently i cannot implement a blocking dbus loop on a mycroft skill where i cannot directly query the media player in use by the system in default this will break user interaction with other skills if i run the skill in a dbus main loop so only single method calls work without having the ability to implement dbus signals and replies.  2. Intent handling for example user say's simply "Play Music / Pause Music / Next Song / Previous Song" how to determine the media player to use by default as every user has an individual preference unless it is being defined by the system where there is a dbus method call to a default system player available. Here the solution as per my implementation seems to segregate the media player the user wants to play his media by where any media player  for example "Babe Qt", "Rhythmbox" "Deepin Media Player" or "VLC" that makes use of mpris dbus interface will have individual intent calls like "Hey Mycroft, Deepin Play Song" or "Hey Mycroft, Rhythmbox Play Song" etc.

REPOSITORY
  R846 Mycroft Plasma integration