D5249: [RFC] New effect plugin - projector (keystone) correction

Krzysztof Nowicki noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Mar 29 20:20:37 UTC 2017

nowicki added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5249#98921, @graesslin wrote:

  > I think the effect system is the wrong place for it - at least if we want to add it to KWin directly. The transformation should be done directly in the Scene.

  I have done it this way initially in order for it to be as little intrusive as possible. If the idea as a whole makes sense, I'll definitely have a look at doing this at a scene level as you suggested.

INLINE COMMENTS

> graesslin wrote in projector.cpp:101-126
> This is something which we should not do. That has major impact on the performance of the overall system. Cursors are on an own layer and thus cursor movement does not require a repaint.
>
> Also on X11 we are not able to perfectly track the cursor. On Wayland, though we have full control over it.

The reason for taking over cursor drawing is that when transformation is applied the pointer pixmap doesn't match the point where the cursor actually hits the windows below it. Since there is no way to apply translation to the HW cursor position drawing a SW cursor is the only way to make the mouse usable with tranformation applied.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin