D5245: Desaturate non-responsive windows

Kai Uwe Broulik noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Mar 29 16:03:38 UTC 2017

broulik created this revision.
Restricted Application added a project: KWin.
Restricted Application added subscribers: kwin, plasma-devel.

REVISION SUMMARY
  When an application is not responding, its window is desaturated to communicate this. Also "(Not Responding)" is added to the title bar.

TEST PLAN
  (Originally created as https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/127162/ - in contrast to the older review, this here only changes the looks of the window, it leaves the kill prompt alone)

  I'm absolutely certain there is a bug/wish on bko about this. X only right now, I don't think we have ping/kill infrastructure on Wayland yet?

  VDG: When an application freezes and I click the close button, after 2.5s it will desaturate the window, after another 2.5s it will show the "do you want to kill $app" prompt. If I then choose "Wait longer", the prompt closes and the window remains desaturated until the app responds again. I can click the close button again, and get the "do you want to kill $app" prompt again (after 2.5s, for subsequent calls, though). It doesn't happen if you interact with the window in any other way, only the close button "pings" the client.

  - Running the timer twice is probably more of a hack, when the client is already marked unresponsive, which halves the timeout when the kill dialog is triggered on subsequent invocations
  - Not sure about the "(Not Responding)" part in title bar (also do we have Message.sh for deco?), I chose not to manipulate the client's caption but do it only in the decoration. Maybe we can improve the look, even?

  F3429932: Screenshot_20170329_163316.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F3429932>

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin

AFFECTED FILES
  abstract_client.cpp
  abstract_client.h
  client.cpp
  decorations/decoratedclient.cpp
  effects.cpp
  effects.h
  effects/CMakeLists.txt
  effects/frozenapp/CMakeLists.txt
  effects/frozenapp/package/CMakeLists.txt
  effects/frozenapp/package/contents/code/main.js
  effects/frozenapp/package/metadata.desktop
  libkwineffects/kwineffects.h