appstreamrunner in plasma-workspace

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Mon Mar 27 10:07:21 UTC 2017

Aloha

A while ago Aleix created an appstreamrunner allowing you to find
applications (from appstream data) via krunner and install them (by
invoking whatever software center is associated with appstream URIs).

There was some consensus that it would be nice to have but we never
reached a decision where to put it.

I am proposing that we include appstreamrunner in plasma-workspace and
enable it by default.

It only depends on appstream and can use any old appstream-enabled
software center (discover, gnome-software, what have you) and it makes
sense in pretty much every form factor scenario (e.g. if mobile
launcher has a search it can equally display apps for installation if
no installed software matches the query).
I've been using it since the very first day and simply love it!
Software at once's fingertips, what more can anyone ask for.

HS