proposal: make plasma *not* build with Qt 5.8.0

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Mar 22 15:51:54 UTC 2017

Am 2017-03-22 14:37, schrieb Marco Martin:
> Hi all,
> I'm seeing lately many new crash reports in bugzilla which are with Qt
> 5.8.0,
> and some even backtraces that i never seen.
> Knowing the big problems that Qt 5.8.0 had, I've come to thinking that
> to make
> even more obvious that 5.8.0 is discouraged, to make cmake fail in
> plasma-
> workspace with exactly that version (with 5.8 from branch or 5.9 still
> fine) so
> if a distribution really wants that combination would have to patch it,
> making
> it obvious it's their problem, and not supported.
>
> What do you think?

We probably should strongly advice distributions to not use Qt 5.8.0.

I informed them about the Wayland issue, but told them to also ignore it
if it doesn't matter to them.
So if we have more issues we should tell distros about it. It just makes
all of us look bad if there are known issues and distros ship it without
better knowledge.

Cheers
Martin