LGPL a possibility for Breeze Qt widget style?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Mar 9 06:15:02 UTC 2017

Am 2017-03-08 22:04, schrieb Elvis Stansvik:
> <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>:
>> There was a thread:
>> https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-frameworks-devel/2016-May/034272.html
>>
>> I'm not sure it helps much.
>
> Oh wow. What a hornets nest that thread was! Almost too technical for
> me to understand. But it's clear to me after reading it that LGPLing
> of the Breeze style seems out of the question. It's a little sad
> because I don't think Jaroslaw presented his case very
> well/succinctly, and I understand Martins failure to see any strong
> reasons for LGPLing in his reasoning.

I must say that I find your argument way more convincing to put it on
LGPL. That said I don't think a relicense is feasible due to the
historic
nature of breeze which is in large parts based on Oxygen code, thus has
dozens of developers on it and a decade of code history.

The issue you raise is very valid. App images don't get the integration.
And that's not just the widget style, but also things like lacking
plasma-integration. Many won't work on Wayland, due to not including
qtwayland, etc. etc.

I think we need to come up together with distributions to a solution
which allows app images to be a first class citicen.

For the case of breeze I don't think that a relicense to LGPL is needed.
The argumentation from the other thread holds, though IANAL, you only
load the plugin at runtime and it's not a derived work. It is the
intended
usage.

Cheers
Martin