LGPL a possibility for Breeze Qt widget style?

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 21:04:56 UTC 2017

> There was a thread:
> https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-frameworks-devel/2016-May/034272.html
>
> I'm not sure it helps much.

Oh wow. What a hornets nest that thread was! Almost too technical for
me to understand. But it's clear to me after reading it that LGPLing
of the Breeze style seems out of the question. It's a little sad
because I don't think Jaroslaw presented his case very
well/succinctly, and I understand Martins failure to see any strong
reasons for LGPLing in his reasoning.

All I can offer is then just another use case for an LGPL Breeze style:

1) I want to make an AppImage of a GPL-incompatible Qt application,
that bundles a newer Qt than the one provided by the target system.
2) I want that application to look native under Plasma, hence I'd like
to bundle a Breeze built against the bunded Qt.

I'm not talking about turning Breeze into a library to be consumed by
applications (it should not be), or a framework, or anything like
that. Just allowing for GPL-incompatible apps to look native in a
Plasma environment, even if they chose to bundle a newer Qt (e.g. by
AppImage'ing).

Elvis