[Wisdom, Info] - Containments information, Latte use case

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 10:44:19 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

the Latte devs we need some architectural wisdom for corona,containment use
case because with qt 5.9 we get some occasional crashes when we recreate
ContainmentViews and we are not sure if this is our wrong implementation or
qt issue...

The Latte design is trying to use the plasmashell one, if we have got it
right of course, please correct me if we have misunderstood something...

Latte app is a corona for us and every dock is a different containent.
Every containment window is a ContaintmentView. All the containments are
loaded on startup and based on or our criteria we create only the needed
ContainmentViews(named DockViews for Latte).

I think this is similar to DesktopViews of plasma, all the containments for
desktops are loaded on startup but only for the running activities
DesktopViews are created, based on activities user demand later on
DesktopViews are created and deleted accordingly... but for all this time
the containments for all desktops are loaded even if it is for a not
running activity

All the suspicious crashes in Latte occur when we  try to create a new
ContainmentView for a containment that belonged in a different
ContainmentView in the past (we call this, recreate the dockview). In our
side we dont touch the containment we just remove our DockView and create a
new one to assign this containment... in our code reference the crash is
happening at ContainmentView::event() and after that it points to
QQuickWindow, reaching at QQuickWindow::maybeUpdate()

sorry for the long text...

thanks again,
michail