Plasma Vision v 2.0

Jens Reuterberg jensreu at kolabnow.com
Sun Jun 18 09:19:27 UTC 2017

Yes that was a worry of mine too - that certain people in the community would
use the vision as a club against developers but then I thought that the issue
there isn't so much the vision - its the person using it as a club.

Any vision can be used as a club, every statement of intent, even now where we
don't have one certain people are using it on reddit to harass, harangue or
simply misuse it as their idea of an "argument". It can't be avoided.
Some people are simply going to take whatever ammunition they can use and at
the same time ignore the realities of developers ("no I can't make it
controllable through telepathy, even if that is your workflow!")

If someone uses the vision (or ANYTHING) to harass our developers I think we
as a community must be more vocal. Its a lacking of ours to not step up and
just set that person right. Simply going "well the realities of programming is
that even though your idea is something the developer would LOVE to include
its not feasible right now" - or if its actually more on the harassing side
speak up in that channel and clearly put yourself between developer and
harasser.

This is a very very relevant topic but one where the key aspect of it is
1) us being able to tell users and actual commentators that "Well that feature
is a good idea but currently there is no way to do it, help out though!" or
"Hmm that would make the rest of the application worse - do you have a
suggestion on making your idea fit more gracefully?"
2) us being able to tell trolls and harassers to bugger off more quickly. We
loose developers when we don't step up and give the only argument some of
these people deserve: "No, go away"

(sry this is a sore topic of mine and something that kinda pisses me off more
than I thought it would :) )

As for the vision: I think that as a statement of intent its good, toning it
down may hurt it to the point its more a Mission Statement or Strategy
Document - we want the vision to be a flag in the distance to aim for as well.