Wayland App Testing BOF

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 12:44:01 UTC 2017

Notes from the Wayland BOF:

Went through the (draft) tablet protocol spec with a krita dev, they
confirmed it had everything they need. Now "just" a case of implementing it
in kwayland, kwin and Qt.

KMail now works in wayland - volker to look into removing the forced qputenv

We have a bunch of bugs reported (to report) from apps ranging from a crash
in Kalzium to some bizarre behaviour in dragon player embedding VLC -
Davide Bettio to upload his reports.

Kwin wayland works in KVM (which was news to me)

We now have a global Bugzilla keyword "wayland" for easier searching.

Most importantly we branstormed a possibly much better solution to the
problem of popups not having a parent set. Currently in Qt it just creates
a top level, now, if the window is a popup and a transient parent is not
explicitly set we set it to what Qt thinks is the active window. This
covers far more cases than the previous QMenu hack and is much more
generic. Marco implemented this as
https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/200788/
(another change incoming for fixing checking windowType is a popup
everywhere)

David