Notes on Plasma BoF, monday morning

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 10:49:53 UTC 2017

Vision on Plasma Mobile
* agreement on vision
then we moved on talking about some points of the strategy:

Strategy on Plasma Mobile
* more collaboration
* make our Qt usable for their mobile apps
* reach out to Ubuntu Touch?
* convergence: a lot of work here will improve transformable laptops
* share more with ubports (qt build? ubuntu controls packaging?)
* for apps straight out of ubuntutouch: containers! snappies with
their patched Qt version (apol)
* reach for people doing the apps, make easy for them to port to our
platform (our qt, run on plasma mobile, kirigami)
* ubuntu store apps going to openstore: reach openstore: collaboration
with the KDE store? (jerry+sebas)
* future.. collaboration with PostMarketOS
* primary UI: use kicker for homescreen (eike)
* folderview backend for a mobile file manager (eike)
* simplify top peek panel (marco)
* simplify applet container (marco)
* Sebas and Jens will come up with a more marketing friendly strategy document
* a security model will be an huge task for the future (especially
with phones with an old kernel)

What's missing on plama mobile
* Systemsettings modules: network manager and dual SIM manager

Convergence
* what we need for convergence for convertible laptops
* work on virtual keyboard (david and eike)
* automatic screen rotation
* sensors on when a transformable laptop gets transformed and back
(QtSensors supports some laptops)
** autorotation (in wayland rotation needs to be implemented in kwin_wayland)
** virtual keyboard autoshow
** task for everybody: use for half an hour the system with just the
touchscreen, don't touch keyboard and touchpad
** kirigami: a bit more dynamyic adaptation: tweak units a bit when
touch event happens vs mouse only events, switch from scrollbar to
scroll indicator on mouse (marco)
* what we can afford to say "supported only on wayland" (like screen rotation)
* more convergent apps with Kirigami