Plasma Sprint discussion planning

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jan 16 17:09:53 UTC 2017

Am 2017-01-16 10:48, schrieb Marco Martin:
> On Sunday 15 January 2017 21:36:32 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>> Just giving an idea: Some parts where KWin is responsible for on
>> Wayland, it could also become responsible on X11 and take over the
>> part
>> of whatever component provided it before. E.g. KWin could manage the
>> keyboard layout on X11 as it has all the code for Wayland. The glue
>> code
>> on X11 would be rather minimal.
>>
>> That's also what I want to focus on in KWin internally. My aim for
>> 5.10
>> is to replace more and more of the X11 specific code through the new
>> implementations added for Wayland.
>
> didn't occur to e that it would be possible.. if it is sounds
> interesting
> indeed..
> would be the various things like the keyboard layout be independent
> enough to
> beadopted by different people?

Yes, so in KWin this will be:
* KeyboardLayout class (review open, platform independent)
* which uses a KeyboardLayoutIndicator (can be taken from existing
plasma-desktop/kcms/keyboard with all X11 specific code removed -
platform independent)
* Xkb class from KWin (platform independent)
* An Xkb sub-class in platform/x11/standalone which has the X11 specific
bits

So I expect for the keyboard layout handling in the end something like
50 to 100 lines of X11-specific code. Thanks xkbcommon for making
keyboard layouts sane!

Cheers
Martin