Plasma Sprint discussion planning

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jan 12 19:39:39 UTC 2017

Hi Plasmates,

with Plasma 5.9 beta released I thought about starting a thread about
things to discuss during the Plasma sprint in Stuttgart.

I will be around on Friday and Saturday and have some requests to the
Plasma team to discuss before and present me the result of the
discussion :-)

1. Global Touchscreen gestures:
this is a topic I have been waiting for more than a year. I want to know
what kind of gestures we want to support by default in our Plasma setup.
I will implement whatever is needed in KWin on both Wayland and X11 (!).
This means I want to add global touchscreen gestures also for the X
session. Please keep it in a technical feasible way, e.g. no "long press
to emulate right click" ;-)

2. Global Touchpad gestures:
we started on that, unfortunately the design document went into the
world of gestures which cannot be supported, since then it didn't go
anywhere. I would love the team to have a look at it again and define
the gestures to implement.

3. Maintaining X11 specific code:
Over the last half year exclusively on Wayland I realized that I cannot
maintain X11 specific code any more. KWin is mostly no problem as
XWayland windows are used the same way as native X windows. But things
which have a different implementation on Wayland I cannot maintain any
more. This affects mostly kglobalaccel, klipper and partly the
KWin-standalone platform. I want the team to think about plans how we
can continue to maintain the X11 specific parts especially with more of
the team (hopefully) moving to Wayland.

Cheers
Martin