announcement: plymouth-kcm in kdereview

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Thu Jan 5 12:30:38 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 12:58:10PM +0100, Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
> announcing a new KCM module to change the plymouth splash screen
> The repository is named plymouth-kcm and is headed for kdereview now.
> its final resting place would be the workspace area, to be released in sync
> with the rest of Plasma

Version number is hard coded
QStringLiteral("0.1")

It should rather follow Plasma practice and set these in the top cmake file
set(PROJECT_VERSION "5.8.90")
set(PROJECT_VERSION_MAJOR 5)

and use PROJECT_VERSION

same for const char version[] = "1.0"; src/kplymouththemeinstaller.cpp

The kcm is LGPL while the helper executables are GPL, probably simpler just to make it all GPL.

The copyright headers should follow current best practice text listed at
 https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy#GPL_Header

There's no docs, I don't know if anyone cares about these for kcms any
more, probably not.  Seems a general System Settings issue, the Help
button is shown but does nothing when I click it even for
e.g. kcmshell5 colors. This works again when I install khelpcenter but
it should have sensible fallback like apps do.  Except the apps launch
a web page which doesn't exist.  Is it time to just give up on docs
and accept they're not actually that important?

I get quite a few warnings/errors when running kcmshell5 plymouth:
 org.kde.kcoreaddons: Error loading plugin "kcm_plymouth" "The shared library was not found."
 Plugin search paths are ("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins", "/usr/bin")
 The environment variable QT_PLUGIN_PATH might be not correctly set
 kf5.kcoreaddons.desktopparser: Could not locate service type file kservicetypes5/kpackage-genericqml.desktop, tried ("/home/jr/.local/share", "/usr/share/usr/share/xsessions/plasma", "/usr/local/share", "/usr/share", "/var/lib/snapd/desktop")
 file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:100: TypeError: Cannot read property of null

When I run kcmshell5 plymouth  and use the corners to resize the window larger and smaller after a short while it freezes and gives output of
 file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_plymouth/contents/ui/main.qml:48:13: QML GridView: Binding loop detected for property "cellWidth"

The top text says "Plymouth splash screen". It should be in title case.

There's no preview pic for my pre-installed splash screens.  Probably none is available but there must be some way to make one available for breeze themes at least?

When I click Defaults nothing much happens, what is this button supposed to do?

When I click Reset it resets back to the current setting.  When I then go on to select another theme the Reset button does not become enabled again and output says
 file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_plymouth/contents/ui/main.qml:136: ReferenceError: resetCheckbox is not defined

No Product in bugzilla
 https://bugs.kde.org/describecomponents.cgi
when one is added you'll need to add it to releaseme plasma/plasma-add-bugzilla-versions

No Product in Phabricator

The terminology changes between 'System Splash', 'Plymouth Splash Screen', 'global splash screen' and '[Get New] Splash Screens'.  Better to pick one I think, I like 'Boot Splash'.

AboutData has "Configure Plymouth splash screen", as well as mixing
title case and sentence case this makes the text in the Help menu a
bit weird to read.  This is systems settings, everything is
configuration, no need to use that word.

Cool, Pokemon Plymouth splash!