[Differential] [Commented On] D4838: [Notifications] Add context menu for thumbnail

Thomas Pfeiffer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Feb 28 16:00:25 UTC 2017

colomar added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D4838#90994, @broulik wrote:

  > > A file manager has a menu bar, however, so the context menu is never the only means to execute an action.
  >
  > Dolphin does not by default. I don't see an "Open" or "Open With" action anywhere in its menus, neither the file actions (compress, activities, send to, etc).

  It does not, which is something we've criticized before (the menu should be shown by default, turning it into a button should be a conscious decision. The actions not being in the main menu is a HIG violation as well.
  "Let's do it wrong because others are doing it wrong as well" is not a good argument.

  >> I don't see how turning the Open button into a split button would "terribly overload the design", either. It would not cost any additional space.
  >
  > And how do you think a split "Open" button (which there isn't neccessarily) would work in the following scenario?
  >  F2668420: Screenshot_20161129_173410.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F2668420>

  Just as well or as badly as a regular "Open" button. If in this scenario you hide the Open button because it has no valid target, then of course there would be no split Open button, either.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace

EMAIL PREFERENCES