KDM5?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 08:34:20 UTC 2017

Security issues in KDM, seriously? Maybe if it's configured to serve incoming
remote connections, but for local security I don't think it can be a big concern
given how easily one can get at a virtual console anyway.

Unless KDM is also responsible for locking a session once you're logged in? That
I *do* have (infrequent) issues with, where the unlock dialog complains the
authentication mechanism failed as soon as I hit a key. I haven't yet found a
non-destructive way out of that conundrum.

David Edmundson wrote:

> If you hate the look, change the look locally. It supports themes.

For now I still use a KDE4 desktop, and there I use KDM without the theming
overhead, but configured to my taste through the Login Screen KCM. Meaning my
choice of language, widget style, fonts and colour scheme, a modified greeter
text, displaying of the analog clock, the "Stonewall 2" background colour
pattern, no user preselect and last but not least, the system UID low threshold
set to 500.

If SDDM can be made to look and work that way (without taking on BDSM traits :))
then why not. I haven't been looking at login screen configurability under
Plasma5 recently but have a vague recollection of having tried to tweak its
settings in the past. If memory serves me well I mostly managed to mess things
up and certain settings didn't "stick".