[Differential] [Updated, 57 lines] D4550: Task Manager: Make the icon size configurable for task buttons in a vertical task manager

Peter Palaga noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Feb 21 17:51:14 UTC 2017

ppalaga updated this revision to Diff 11596.
ppalaga added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D4550#88247, @hein wrote:

  > I'm starting to like it, but it's a little bit scary. The thing is that we don't want to alter behavior in existing user setups, which is mostly narrow vertical panels that don't get text. I fear that with default settings, due to lowering the threshold to 5 from 3, they'll suddenly get text and need to go into settings to mess with the icon size to displace the text. We need to take care existing user setups aren't disrupted.

  I see what you mean and I checked how it looks like before and after the change for Task manager withs of one (~28px), two (~56px), three (~82px) and four (~116px) tray icons.

  Doing that, I found that I had a small bug there in Task.qml s/minimumMColumns()/LayoutManager.minimumMColumns()/ and that the results look better if the minimumMColumns() function returns 4 for vertical layouts. Both changes are there in the current third diff.

  Please have a look at the comparison in the pictures:
  One tray icon:
  F2518497: pasted_file <https://phabricator.kde.org/F2518497>

  Two tray icons:
  F2518499: pasted_file <https://phabricator.kde.org/F2518499>

  Three tray icons
  F2518500: pasted_file <https://phabricator.kde.org/F2518500>

  Four tray icons:
  F2518501: pasted_file <https://phabricator.kde.org/F2518501>

  Note that in the present diff, I propose the default iconSize "large" which is shown in the right most column of the comparisons. With this default, the users get exactly the same text visibility behavior as we had before the change: No text is shown for 1,2 and 3 tray icons and there is some text shown for 4 tray icons.

  I admit that with default "large", the icons are rendered a bit bigger, but OTOH, the overall button height stays very similar: for 2,3 and 4 tray icons, the button is just 3 pixel taller. (49px vs. 52px) In the new version, the icon simply fills more space of the button. I personally find the right-most column looking better than the original left-most.

  I the narrowest case (one tray icon), there is no way to make the buttons as tall they were originally. Again, I personally find the proposed rendering better than the current one.

  Please comment, if the new rendering is acceptable.

  > Another thing: Check out the Folder View (plasma-desktop.git/containments/desktop/...) settings UI, and replace the combo box with the slider from there. We try to avoid showing the names of the icon size categories in UI for extensibility/future-proofness reasons.

  OK, no problem, I can try that in the next iteration once we agree on the rendering of the Task manager.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

CHANGES SINCE LAST UPDATE
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D4550?vs=11562&id=11596

AFFECTED FILES
  applets/taskmanager/package/contents/code/layout.js
  applets/taskmanager/package/contents/config/main.xml
  applets/taskmanager/package/contents/ui/ConfigGeneral.qml
  applets/taskmanager/package/contents/ui/Task.qml

EMAIL PREFERENCES