[Differential] [Commented On] D4667: [applet] Let specify a version for applets private plugins

Anthony Fieroni noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Feb 19 12:51:44 UTC 2017

anthonyfieroni added a comment.

  > @sitter: **BUT** the user can still add (potentially new) applets to the shell which in turn is then broken because of the module Plasma refuses to load because of version-locking.

  I think that's not a problem, old plasma can load only old plugins, user decide when and why to restart your shell or session.

  > @sitter: All plugins, all QML modules, all runtime assets (pictures what have you), there must not be any overlap really. You'll essentially have to make a Plasma bundle ;)

  Hope i will never see such a OSX way :)

  > @sittter: My 2 cents are: if the breakage does not impair in a meaningful way then the problem is unfortunate but simply the cost of doing live updates. So if the logout dialog is broken that is a big deal, if plasmashell crashes once I'll argue it doesn't matter because it would restart anyway and at that point be compatible with its own plugins again (NB: it may now be incompatible with surrounding services such as kactivitymanagerd ;))

  Crashing on logout isn't a big deal, but we can prove an acceptable solution to KDE software QA :)

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

EMAIL PREFERENCES