[Differential] [Commented On] D4550: Task Manager: Make maximum text lines and minimum line length configurable for task buttons.

Peter Palaga noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Feb 13 11:21:46 UTC 2017

ppalaga added a comment.

  Hallo Eike,

  Yes, as long as we do not (I guess we do not) have any reliable data about user preferences, it is hard to assess the impact of any hard-coded rendering constant change. A move either way will inevitably make somebody upset. I think that making a setting configurable (taking the original constant as a default) is the safest way to increase the overall number of satisfied users. So far, I always perceived KDE as superior to all other desktops when it comes to configuring things towards one's own taste (and that's exactly why my ~3 attempts to switch to Gnome failed :)

  On the other hand, I can see what new config options mean for testing and maintenace. The more options the more complexity, the more "bug surface", the more testing, the harder to maintain, the harder to reason about.
  Therefore, I share your concerns about introducing too many new config options and I hope we will be able to find a solution acceptable for all sides.

  About your ideas:

  > a) Change defaults in TM to maximize text in vert orientation (less tall buttons, lower collapse threshold), ask users whose setup this breaks to use ITM, make things they don't like about ITM confiurable or tell them to suck it up and see how that goes over

  I do not find this one good. As I said, the impact is hard to quantify, it will break the experience for users who found the present solution good. Hardcoding important settings is not in the spirit of KDE.

  > b) Add some sort of abstract Less/More text slider or combo box config option, shown only in vert mode

  I am not sure if I am able to imagine how the position of such an abstract slider would translate to the real values for icon size, button height, minimum chars per line and the number of text lines. I'd perhaps be able to tell my opinion if you add more details how such a slider is supposed to work.

  > c) Instead of text make that option about Taller/Shorter buttons, or icon size, or something

  This sounds as a reasonable compromis to me. I think I'll try to implement this if you do not mind. I think I'll start with an icon size pref combo ("small", "smallMedium", "medium", "large", "huge", "enormous") and will see if it looks good to me.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

EMAIL PREFERENCES