[Differential] [Updated] D4400: Plasma 5.10 "Cascade" Wallpaper

Fredrik Höglund noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Feb 4 12:25:44 UTC 2017

fredrik added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D4400#82337, @kvermette wrote:

  > In https://phabricator.kde.org/D4400#82334, @broulik wrote:
  >
  > > Did you try my suggestion regarding optimizing the image for a lossy compression algorithm?
  > >
  > > Fredrik made a Khronos KTX (compressed texture) reader for plasma wallpapers which could significantly reduce memory consumption for the wallpaper, especially for the 4K variant. I think we should give it a try for 5.10?
  > >
  > > Also, please consider adding a 1920x1200 variant. There were complaints that the 5.9 wallpaper didn't come with this size (I also have that resolution for my desktop)
  >

  > For some reason this completely slipped my mind; can you give me a quick refresher please?

  OpenGL 4 and ES 3.1 add support for new high quality texture compression formats, such as BPTC on desktops, and ASTC on mobile. An uncompressed 4K texture consumes 32 MB of video memory, whereas a compressed texture with the same resolution only consumes 8 MB.

  These formats are not lossless, so a compressed image is not going to be identical to the original image. Photographic images tend to compress extremely well, to the point where it is difficult to tell the compressed image apart from the original image. Vector images with sharp, precise outlines often do not compress well, since any compression artifacts that appear along an outline are going to be noticeable.

  The fredrik/bptc branch in plasma-workspace adds support to the wallpaper plugin for loading compressed textures saved as .ktx files.

  I have also ported Microsoft's MIT licensed BPTC encoder to OpenGL:

  https://cgit.kde.org/scratch/fredrik/bptcencoder.git

  This encoder uses compute shaders to encode the image.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze

EMAIL PREFERENCES