Plasma and Frameworks Release issue

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Dec 26 16:57:32 UTC 2017

We have a frameworks and Plasma release schedule issue again.

We have new API (Package::fileUrl literally everwhere and I have something
minor in kwin) that requires frameworks 5.42

This frameworks release comes out on the 6th of Jan.
The beta comes out on the 4th.

We cannot make a release that depends on unreleased code.

The release schedule does explicitly say "depends on frameworks 5.41" and
it's my fault for not noticing that when reviewing.

Last kickoff meeting we agreed that a beta should always be just after a
frameworks release (see kickoff 5.11 notes) after the last time N times
this happened, so I'm not sure how we ended up with those dates chosen.

For now options are:
 - revert that change and  #ifdef use of appmenu protocol in kwin
 - delay our beta release for a few days (tagging and tarballs can still
happen on the scheduled day)

Personally I'd favour option 2.

David