D9495: Properly detect Gallium drivers with newer Mesa

Martin Flöser noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Dec 25 10:48:43 UTC 2017

graesslin added a comment.
Restricted Application edited projects, added Plasma; removed KWin.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9495#182931, @lbeltrame wrote:

  > > I consider detecting for newer driver a feature.
  >
  > That might make things more difficult for downstreams, however.

  Yes, of course. That's an issue which has created problems for me for years. KWin releases and mesa releases are not synced. This results in KWin not having a chance to be tested against latest Mesa. Distros combine these things. Like here openSUSE apparently combines a two year old KWin with a new Mesa. Backporting is even more an issue. Because other distros might not have the new driver versions. And some changes in the past have been mutual exclusive. If such issues happen KWin master must be changed to require the newer Mesa version and explicitly break compatibility with older Mesa.

  In the end the problem here is not that KWin code needs to be adjusted, but that Mesa devs still don't get that their version and renderer information is considered by downstreams as part of an API.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin

BRANCH
  Plasma/5.8