Plasmoid debugging

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Tue Dec 12 06:23:56 UTC 2017

I hope it's okay to ask a lame question about simply enabling debug
output to the launching shell from a plasmoid via kpackagelauncherqml.
My desktop is Ubuntu bionic with kubuntu-ci/stable packages and I am
following the first example here...

https://community.kde.org/Plasma/DeveloperGuide#An_App_in_5_Easy_Steps

In my copy of plasma-framework/examples/developerguide/basic which
has been installed and then launched with kpackagelauncherqml...

// This message will end up being printed to the terminal
//print("Color is now " + colorRect.color);
console.log("Color is now " + colorRect.color);

the above 2 lines do not output anything to the current shell and no
other example I've tried as a simple QML script (either via qtcreator
or just qmlscene) will output any debug info to any associated shell.

I've tried the below and fiddling with various qtcreator settings...

QT_QML_DEBUG=1 kpackagelauncherqml -a org.example.myplasmoid
QT_LOGGING_TO_CONSOLE=1 kpackagelauncherqml -a org.example.myplasmoid

I have both Qt 5.9.2 installed by the OS and Qt 5.10 in my ~/Qt folder.

Any suggestion on how to get console output from a plasmoid?