Plasma Mobile on the Librem 5

Zlatan Todoric zlatan.todoric at puri.sm
Wed Aug 30 18:24:52 UTC 2017

On 08/30/2017 03:50 PM, Matthias Klumpp wrote:

>> One of the things currently being worked on for the phone is to get rid of
>> XWayland. This could give you a nice performance boost as you have a Wayland
>> only system (of course it's also nice to have X support, but one cannot get
>> it with GL support, so the gain is not worth it IMHO).
> I am relatively sure that Zlatan (or CTO) would make pure Wayland a
> pretty high priority ;-) Personally, I would not even bother with X on
> the phone and just require everything running there to use Wayland. I
> briefly thought that having X is useful for the convergence usecase
> (if that becomes a reality), but even for that the apps need some
> level of adjustment for a phone already, and in that case walking the
> extra mile to get things to work with Wayland makes sense.
>
> Cheers,
>     Matthias
Yes, having pure Wayland would be perfect case for phone device for many
reasons and X is not important at all (not at this stage nor do I think
in future plans - though if community decides and does X support, no one
will stop such effort and maybe we even help but we are aiming at
Wayland fully).

Happy hacking,