Plasma Mobile on the Librem 5

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Aug 29 16:39:18 UTC 2017

Am 2017-08-29 15:28, schrieb Matthias Klumpp:
> What we would be interested in is knowing about the future plans for
> Plasma Mobile, especially in the area of design and performance
> improvements. I didn't have the opportunity yet to test Plasma Mobile
> on one of our development boards, but I hope I can get to that
> soonish.

Speaking for the KWin (Wayland compositor) part. Ideal would be drm
support in the phone directly, but that is probably just wishful
thinking. KWin does have a working Android hwcomposer backend through
libhybris. That works well and good for the limited use cases we had so
far. The code base of this plugin is extremely small (< 1000 lines of
code), which shows that most of the code is shared and it's relatively
easy to extend and adjust this code base for new needs.

Having done the initial port of KWin to the Nexus 5 I can proudly say
that KWin performs very well on such kind of hardware. We benefit a lot
from performance improvements done in the general KWin stack. And we can
bring improvements from other platforms also to the phone stack. For
example Roman did a lot of work to get layered compositing working in
the DRM platform and that would be an ideal candidate to bring also in
the hwcomposer plugin. Thus we have all the heavy lifting done to do
things like rendering videos directly in a hardware plane.

One of the things currently being worked on for the phone is to get rid
of XWayland. This could give you a nice performance boost as you have a
Wayland only system (of course it's also nice to have X support, but one
cannot get it with GL support, so the gain is not worth it IMHO).

Cheers
Martin