D1231: Add Remote Access interface to KWayland

Alexey Min noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Aug 27 05:32:50 UTC 2017

alexeymin added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D1231#39191, @Kanedias wrote:

  >  Besides, I didn't find any mentions of multi-screen capabilities in Krfb at all. It currently works like this:
  >
  >   d->framebufferImage = XGetImage(QX11Info::display(),
  >                                   id,
  >                                   0,
  >                                   0,
  >                                   QApplication::desktop()->width(),
  >                                   QApplication::desktop()->height(),
  >                                   AllPlanes,
  >                                   ZPixmap);
  >

  > If that's the requirement, there will be huge amount of work to implement it from ground up.
  >  Patchset for KRfb is already enormous and rewrites half of the input system into plugins instead of built-in libraries (to integrate it with fake-input). I doubt it will endure another set of additions, the review will take forever.
  >  I think we should implement screen indexing in protocol but start with passing screen №1 only for now.

  Speaking about krfb, after https://phabricator.kde.org/D5211 X11 plugin (and `XGetImage` code) does not exist anymore. And krfb is aware of having multiple screens, but it shares only primary screen area:

  - xcb plugin: https://cgit.kde.org/krfb.git/tree/framebuffers/xcb/xcb_framebuffer.cpp#n171
  - qt plugin: https://cgit.kde.org/krfb.git/tree/framebuffers/qt/qtframebuffer.cpp#n81

  I cannot imagine how VNC server application can properly serve multiple monitors at once, especially if they have different resolutions (merge them into one big image covering all monitors at once, with black border around the smaller one?). So I think if krfb will ever support multiple monitors explicitly, there will be a combo box to select which screen to share.

  Do you think other screen recording applications will need to capture several monitors at once?

REPOSITORY
  R127 KWayland