D7481: RFC: Batch window changes events on XCB

David Edmundson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Aug 23 11:04:14 UTC 2017

davidedmundson created this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  In a log from someone talking about high CPU we can see get multiple X
  events for the same window as multiple events, but directly next to each
  other. This causes the TaskManager to process changes multiple times
  instead of just once which is a waste.

  I can see this switching tabs in Firefox it gives me the icon updating
  twice. Ideally we only want to have one change go through the model.

  This class sits between KWindowSystem and XWindowTasksModel
  transparently buffering the changes.

  I'm not super attached to the idea of adding hacks like this, so this is
  as much a RFC as anything.  (it's not the root cause of the issue in the
  bug report)

  Also the delay could probably be 0, because that will at least mean we
  read all the pending window system events before proceeding which is all
  I really want.

  CCBUG: 378010

TEST PLAN
  I wrote this in April and can't remember why I didn't push it.
  I'm worried that I might have had a really important reason that I've since forgotten...or maybe I just got distracted and forgot.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace

BRANCH
  pending_queue

AFFECTED FILES
  libtaskmanager/CMakeLists.txt
  libtaskmanager/xwindowsystemeventbatcher.cpp
  libtaskmanager/xwindowsystemeventbatcher.h
  libtaskmanager/xwindowtasksmodel.cpp