D7323: Expose Cursor position to DeclarativeScripting

David Edmundson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Aug 15 20:35:10 UTC 2017

davidedmundson added a comment.

  Security in scripts/effects is an existing problem, Scripts already can do literally anything, from manipulating workspace windows to low level DBus calls...as kwin. It needs solving regardless at a much higher level than restricting what API is available.

  I could write my thing as C++, but I was very much under the impression you wanted to move scripts away from that?

  > If you want to do these effects in a scripted approach we need to extend the scripting API.

  That's what I am doing...unless scripting API and the declarative scripting API are conceptually different?

  > Something something planes

  This is something I want to to do too. But declarative and using planes aren't in any way exclusive.  A DRM buffer still needs content from somewhere.

  For the thing I was doing (some obscure accessibility thing for someone) the cursor plane wouldn't really work. Nor for mousemark, where the content remains static.

  Given how many effects are simply overlays - having platforms provide a plane for all overlays (with some compositior fallback) is something that IMHO would make sense, that I would happily work on. I don't think throwing it into the DRM backend itself is a system that will scale.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin