D7323: Expose Cursor position to DeclarativeScripting

Martin Flöser noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Aug 15 17:04:35 UTC 2017

graesslin added a subscriber: broulik.
graesslin added a comment.

  Just some more thinking: if the aim is better trackmouse or mousemark extending scripts or effects is the wrong approach. Ideally one would want to use the DRM cursor layer for this. The big disadvantage of trackmouse currently is that it causes repaints in the compositor. Doing it through QtQuick would make this worse (these are the performance implications mentioned in the previous comment). We would have the rendering of QtQuick which is not synced in any way to the rendering of the compositor. Plus the overhead of getting QtQuick into the compositor scene.

  But also effects are not well suited for it in a Wayland world as it just doesn't make use of what we have now: drm layers. By using drm layers we would get the rendering for free without affecting the compositor performance at all. The compositor could even stay idle and not be woken up at all. This was btw. how I envisioned something like the mouse cursor enlargement which @broulik talked about would work. We just render larger in the drm platform plugin.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin