querying current mouse state

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 15:29:38 UTC 2017

On Thursday August 10 2017 17:15:20 Martin Flöser wrote:

> Point is: if the kernel could read the information from the device, it
> would know it. I don't think that the kernel knows it, which means I
> don't think that the device driver has that.

Hmm. That still might make sense for position information (even for a trackpad device which must have an internal knowledge where it's being pressed on, contrary to traditional mouses/trackballs). But buttons have only 2 states so instead of sending a state change signal when one is pressed or released the device could just as well send the actual state.

> no idea whether it uses libevdev, but it's of course evdev.

Whichever, it's Linux-specific (with a rather recent port to *BSD IIRC). I installed the latest version the other day and decided not to bother installing the XOrg libinput plugin/module too because it just seems to add a layer of complexity.

R.