Notes from Guadec Wayland BOF

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 10:33:10 UTC 2017

On Monday 07 August 2017 09:23:56 David Edmundson wrote:
> I went to Guadec last week, wearing my Gnome hoodie to slip in
> undiscovered. I made some notes from their wayland BOF.

Thanks for taking care of this!

> They also have a problem with menus and lacking correct transient parents -
> they also have a hacks to guess in GTK.

kindof comforting :p

> Xdg potential changes
>
> set_fullscreen() will need a way for an app to specify it spans multiple
> monitors.
>
> I wanted to expand xdg_output with some monitor metadata
> (isExternal/primary/whatever), mostly so we can have the primary display
> info in Plasma without custom protocol code; and used set_fullscreen as an
> excuse. They suggest maybe we want to extent set_fullscreen with requested
> metadata, which is probably actually better.

a well-deterministic data on what kind of output is (tv,projector etc) could
also be nice to allow to do interesting things like assuming we want to do a
presentation because projector and so on.
it could also improve the rather heuristic QScreen::name() in wayland (as we
rely on it to identify what containment to put where

> Screen Recording / Casting
>
> Mutter is going to use "pipewire" [1] for video buffer sharing.
> Pipewire is dubbed as the new pulseaudio of video. (and rumour has it,
> potentially replacing pulseaudo and jack too).
> The docs right now are ridiculously sparse.

yay, a new trust us this will be the real cake this time :p

> They also didn't really have a particularly good plan of dealing with
> multi-screen, just sending multiple buffers like we're going to do.

not much more to be done i guess, apart from attaching some metadata to those
buffer to say at least the relative geometries of the screens to know who is
left or who is right (together possibly all metadata that would be exported in
normal multiscreen)

--
Marco Martin